Monday, October 9, 2017

Climate Change Around My Home

I am a highschool student in Brisbane, Australia and there's nothing I love more than my city. I've lived here my whole life and experienced everything. From downtown to the beach, it's quite lovely here. 


My older and younger brother are my best friends, we go everywhere together. We usually take a boat over to Moreton Island and play on the beach. The community over here is great, everyone is so friendly! The weather is very nice throughout the year. Average temperatures in the summer range from 21 - 29.8°C (69.8 - 85.6°F) with rain hitting the city the most this time of year. Crazy to think we get 426.6 mm (16.8") of rainfall in the season. December has the highest average of rainy days in the winter around 7 days. January and February average 6 and 5 days respectively


The rain starts to phase out going into autumn and temperatures drop to 15 - 25°C (59 - 77°F). Winters tend to get dry but are still nice. Dropping even further, we see temps of 11 - 21°C (51.8 - 69.8°F). I love the mornings in the winter because the air is crisp and clean. You can tell spring is coming around when the temperature becomes just like autumn. One thing to be worried about is UV rays from the sun. These can be damaging to your body so we have sunscreen available everywhere.

One thing that is very concerning is that most of my city could disappear due to rising sea levels. Seeing this I see a city that I love so much, gone. The shore lines of Moreton Island would be covered in water and homes would disappear in the community. Back on the mainland, most of the city would be under water. With just 5m of an increase in sea level, the Brisbane Airport would be gone and the M1 would be underwater. The Brisbane River would be flooded going a long way westward.

Looking into temperature and precipitation things look different. The temperature by mid-century in winter raise by a few degrees, making them warmer than usual. The summers get hotter as well. Rainfall will decrease around the city overall remaining stable. Intense heatwaves will be more common and be a threat to our health.
Temperature at mid-century and end-century up the coast from Brisbane

This impacts me because along with rising sea levels and global warming my everyday life could change. When my brothers and I visit Moreton Island, the shoreline will be gone along with the surrounding businesses and houses. Huge financial costs would be in order to move the airport, highway, and buildings. The things I love would be gone. The Downtown lifestyle, and beach vibes that you get almost everyday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment